Saturday, December 30, 2017

Marking the end of 2017


As I close the year on the blog I think I should try and do better on writing content for the blog next year. What kills me the most is I basically skipped posting for the whole of 2016 and that was the time I should have had the most to write. Anyway, enough with the guilt. Let me finish off on this year’s post by reflecting about the year and just seeing if there’s anything I learned from it.

         Perfection:


I keep being held back by my willingness to be perfect. I worry too much about posting the perfect blog with the perfect grammar so much that I don’t end up posting at all. I worry so much about what people will say or think about me, so much that I don’t put out what I’m supposed to. Maybe it’s got more to do with fear as I don’t think I need to care so much about these things. If there’s anything I have learned as a creative is that critiquing is part of life and the only way we get to learn. So what the heck! Participation is better than deprivation.

         Travel


This year I went to Senegal and Guinea Bissau which has been a long awaited travel. My dad has resided in the area for almost ten years and he talked about how Guinea Bissau had a long way to go compared to Kenya. He already warned me about it so I figured I had an idea of what I was getting myself into but can’t say I did to that extent. I was shocked! I complain so much about my country being backward but traveling to other African countries has been an eye opener. I got to appreciate the difference in cultures and the similarities. Mostly, they taught me gratitude. I realize that we are a developing country as well, that everything is a progress in time and just because we are where we are now doesn’t mean we don’t get better. It’s more about the pace, the moment, the time, the reasons that come along with it, the handling, does it get better? The better is what we always look up to and the little hope we cling to. That the little things we have for now and that which we have achieved are worth praising and that every progress should be accounted for, and appreciated.

          Skills


My skills are a work in progress. They are so many things I desire to learn. So many things I wish I knew at this point in time. I have done so much things already and I already know so much. As time moves on and as everything progresses; new things come up. I can’t know everything unfortunately, but I can make better use of the time I have to get to learn something new, out of the things I wish to know. I should also learn to appreciate the new things learned which goes in line with appreciating and acknowledging my progress.

          Progress


In the coming year I want to keep track of my progress. I want to be able to appreciate the new things and the little steps I make to get to where I desire to be. One of these include blogging more; hence, reflecting monthly on the things I have done. 2017 has been one of my toughest years career-wise. It’s easy to say it has been a wasteful year for me but I can’t put aside my attempts to make myself a better person. So much is easily ignored when you don’t have anything tangible for yourself though it has been the year of recognition. Recognition to realize that I hold the willpower to make the best of myself and show it, because no one else will do that for you. I need to know that someone else’s progress does not necessarily mean mine; even so, it should be celebrated as it is, believing that my time will come and understanding that our timings are always different.


Here’s my good bye to 2017 and my hello 2018. 

No comments:

Post a Comment